Friday, January 8, 2010

Please advise what if any free tutorials, can help me with computer ';stuff'; specificly ...?

I'm a ';dinosuar';. Though I have some navigational knowledge and skills, whatever, I am really stumped at more sophisticated issues -- such as: I bought Norton and can't NO MATTER WHAT really receive any customer care %26amp; tried, all avenues, email, chat, etc. get cut off, seems like computer world all passes the buck just like real life too, regarding re-installing it, afteer I had to purge the computer, I'm not virus-protected even tho I bought it online for a year's use; That bugs me, as well as not knowing enough about how to use things -- what's a good way -- and a ';free way'; for me to get basics, sometimes the HELP SECTIONS, just run me around .. I don't have lots of time, I'm older now, I need to find REALLY GOOD tutorials, I'm also having a hard time organizing my ';stuff'; .. meaning, all the multiple sign-ins and passwords for my favored sites -- I meant to put them in one location, but can't remember now many of the passwords, etc. Any advice is appreciated. I'm also trying to instruct my 90-ish year old mom, and the more I know, the better I can help her, we're at distances and need these tools. I need to learn to use the Phone part of the computer, and dont' know the terminology, but sure Answerers know what I mean.Please advise what if any free tutorials, can help me with computer ';stuff'; specificly ...?
Hi there





You really need to start at one point and accomplish one thing at a time.


The AV (anti-virus) issue is really important. Two of those packages never run well together. I would advise a free package if you can completely remove Norton.


A good source of information is You-Tube. It is easier to watch a video instead of trying to remember what words you need to add to your vocab.


Google is always the best source of help when you have learned what to put in the search box!


You must not use the computer for financial transactions if it is not virus and spyware protected.


You can download 2 programs from softpedia.com to help with that:


spybot search and destroy (just enter ';spybot'; into the search box)


http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Po鈥?/a>


ccleaner to clean the registry amongst other things


http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Se鈥?/a>





Read everything you can on these pages and during installation and also on either of the above links you will be able to scroll down the page and on the left hand side there is a panel displaying the weeks most-downloaded programs. Avira is at the top of the list and is as good, if not better, than Norton. The problem is that Norton must be completed removed before using this. Ccleaner has a program uninstalling facility if you need it.


This will help you protect your computer. Changing passwords is important because you may have logged into a rogue site and hackers rely on you to keep the same passwords. Add a couple of numbers and a 'minus -' or 'slash / \' etc as well because using dictionary words and names are the very easiest passwords to crack. You can still keep it simple but beware not to forget them!


There are books especially for people like yourself who are computer noobies (new-bees) - 'XP for Dummies' etc. I personally think you don't need that. Just keep asking questions and make sure there is enough detail so we can give a good answer.


The 'phone part' of the computer is called VOIP voice over internet protocol - best known as Skype after the company best known for delivering the service. Google both and click on the wikipedia links.


Anything you need to know is available via google.


try this


skype tutorial


this may give you actual screen by screen -shots of how to proceed





Good LuckPlease advise what if any free tutorials, can help me with computer ';stuff'; specificly ...?
I applaud you for asking this question, because mot people in your shoes don't because they are scared of feedback.





A lot of Computing is experience, which you are well on your way. I cannot give you a ';PC or Mac learner program'; because they are simply garbage. If you know what the ';internet'; is, you are farther ahead than you think. Emailing, Instant Messaging, downloading, streaming video, etc, this is all the makeup. If you understand these things, you understand computers.





I cant stand Anti-Virus Software and Anti-Spyware software. This is why. Anti-Spyware software, most the time (ESPECIALLY IF OFFERED TO YOU WHEN YOU VISIT A SITE AND IT POPS UP) is either a virus or spy ware itself. You don't need these programs as windows and IE or FireFox or whatever browser you choose have settings to block spyware.





Viruses are a little more trick. Believe it or not, there are people out there that want you to get you computer infected so you have to take it to GEEK SQUAD to get it fixed. Makes you lose money and Best Buy makes billions. ***An Anti-Virus program is like an alarm clock, unless you scan a program before you run it. (If you are running said programs, they are usually illegal, or you have no idea what they are)





Don't install something, unless you know what it is... Its as simple as that. Most ';pro';users of Anti-Virus software will combat my argument, so I will tell this part. If you do download from sceptical sites or for some reasons are installing all kinds of programs from sites that could be infected, then they run the anti-virus software before installing the program. Problem is, most people just install it without checking.. then OMG YOU HAVE A VIRUS - TAKE TO BEST BUY AND GIVE THEM MONEY NOW!





Or, you could think, what is this program? (Programs end with a .exe) be careful. When something pops up at an internet site and says, YOU ARE INFECTED DOWNLOAD THIS NOW!!! come on.. seriously? your computer isnt infected, until you download that program and run it, that is the virus its warning you about. They make you think that you are already infected, when you aren't so you download their program, which isnt detected by your anti virus bc it is an anti virus... so u think and then boom.. you got a virus.





I know this was long but its simple, IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOWNLOADING OR RUNNING, DONT. Mcaffee or whatever is probably the only legit anti-virus out there and completely unecessary, if you take the though to what you are downloading.





Other than that, you are on your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment